- 1lb of ground beef
- One white onion
- A quarter of a red onion
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes.
- 9 strips of uncooked Lasagne pasta
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A generous helping of grated cheese
1) First things first, switch the oven on to 350°F (180°C, Gas Mark 4).
2) Start with the red sauce. Chop all the onion and garlic and brown off in a frying pan. Then add the ground beef and brown.
3) Add the tomatoes and stir.
4) Add the Orgeano, Basil, salt and pepper. At this point I would also add a dash of Worcester Sauce if you have any.
5) While the meat sauce is simmering, start the white sauce. To do this melt a bit of butter in a sauce pan, then add flour to make a paste. Then very slowly start adding milk. The key is to add the milk very slowly, otherwise the sauce become lumpy. When you have mixed all the flour and milk, add cheese until it tastes nice and cheesy!
A more detailed recipe for white sauce.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden sandy color, about 6 to 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the milk in a separate pan until just about to boil. Add the hot milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat. Season with salt and nutmeg, and set aside until ready to use.
6) Now layer the ingredients repeatedly, starting with the Meat Sauce, then the pasta, ending with the Bechamel Sauce.
7) Put it in the oven to cook for about 45 mins, or until nice and brown on top.