4 cloves garlic
2 stalks lemon grass/serai, smashed for flavour
1 cm ginger
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
sugar to taste
lots of pepper
1 tsp chili paste or 3 fresh chilies or (bird's eyes chillies more spicy)
1/2 tsp turmeric
500g chicken, chopped (or mutton, beef, cubed)
1 cup coconut milk
2 kaffir lime leaves
1 turmeric leaf
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup pounded kerisik (dry roasted dessicated coconut that is golden brown and very fragrant)
1) Blend onion, garlic, ginger, salt, turmeric and chili paste until smooth.
2) Heat oil in wok and add blended mixture. Stir fry for 5 minutes or until paste separates from the oil.
3) Add chicken and stir fry for 5 minutes.
4) Add kaffir lime leaves and turmeric leaf and coconut milk and allow to simmer for about 45 minutes or until meat is tender, adding a bit more coconut milk as necessary to keep sauce from drying and burning.
5) Add the coconut kerisik when the meat is almost tender, like 10 minutes before finish.
You have to keep stirring frequently to avoid burning. When the meat is tender and the sauce is almost dry, remove from heat. Serve with any type of rice or bread.
You can cook the rendang without using oil.
- Heat the wok and add blended mixture with the chicken, add coconut milk (the coconut milk will bring out oil so you don't have to use oil).
- Allow to simmer until the meat is tender adding a bit more coconut milk as necessary to keep sauce from drying and burning.
- Add kaffir lime leaves and turmeric leaf.
- Add the coconut kerisik when the meat is almost tender, like 10 minutes before finish.